Frequently Asked Questions about EffNews for Windows
If you cannot find the answer you’re looking for, drop me a line.
FAQ: When will EffNews support Atom?
May 15, 2004 | Fredrik Lundh
Pie/Echo/Atom support was added in release 1.0.10, in July 2003. Shortly thereafter, the format was modified just enough to break the reader.
The Atom support was updated in release 1.0.18, in May 2004. It should work with Atom 0.3 feeds.
FAQ: How do I tell effnews to use a proxy server?
October 16, 2003 | Fredrik Lundh
Effnews uses proxy settings from the Internet Options configuration panel. You can access this panel via the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, or via the control panel.
For instructions, see:
- How to Configure Internet Explorer to Use a Proxy Server
- Viewing Proxy Settings in Microsoft Internet Explorer
- More articles (via google)
FAQ: I get “Installation failed due to an internal error (output file cannot be created)”
July 10, 2003 | Fredrik Lundh
If an effbot.exe-based application (effnews, blogping, etc) is running, the installer fails to overwrite the platform executable. To work around this problem, close down all effbot.exe applications, and run the installer again.
FAQ: The reader cannot find my browser
January 30, 2003 | Fredrik Lundh
Effnews uses Python’s webbrowser module, which runs the browser associated with the “http:” file prefix. If you find that it won’t fire up your favourite browser, or that it doesn’t work at all, you can
- use the browser’s “make this browser the default browser” feature, if available,
- use Jem Berkes’ SetBrowser tool (make sure you read the warnings on that page before you proceed),
- attempt to modify the registry by hand (which will only work if you know exactly what you’re doing).